Ontario Health is the provincial agency responsible for ensuring Ontarians receive high-quality health care services where and when they need them. Since it was established in June 2019, Ontario Health has brought together the strengths of many existing health care organizations to work together to build a better health care system for all Ontarians. Building on the expertise and knowledge of our people, we are committed to applying the best of what we collectively do, and in partnership with others, to transform the health system and improve the quality and delivery of care for patients, families and health care providers. For more information, visit www.ontariohealth.ca .
Reporting to the President and Chief Executive Officer, the Vice President, Legal Services and General Counsel will build our enterprise-wide legal and risk management strategy. You will provide strategic direction, priority setting and leadership of the planning, development and management of key foundational legal services, privacy matters, enterprise risk management, and corporate governance and corporate policy and the provision of expert advisory services across Ontario Health.
• Sets the vision, strategies, priorities, frameworks and plans for Ontario Health’s Legal Services, Privacy and Enterprise Risk Management Department, responsible for the provision of legal services, privacy oversight, corporate governance and enterprise risk management to ensure Ontario Health’s compliance with legislative and applicable legal requirements.
• Acts as a key member and decision maker on the executive team, providing influence and input on the development of the agency’s vision, mission, values and culture and leads strategies and timely decision making for their delivery at the department level.
• Champions and supports Ontario Health’s transformation, leading these change management efforts across the department.
• Acts as a strategic leader across the agency to define and drive programs, policies, systems, services and models within the broad framework of the agency’s vision, mandate and values.
• As Ontario Health’s General Counsel, acts as the key legal advisor and provides executive leadership in the provision of a full range of legal services and legal and enterprise risk management expertise and strategic advice (e.g., interpretation and/or application of legislation, legal review and coordination of corporate policies, development of contractual agreements, employment, and other business transactions).
• Oversees and coordinates input from other legal advisors, including the Ministry of the Attorney General and private sector legal counsel, as required for specialized expertise.
• Ensures Ontario Health fulfills its statutory requirements for compliance to health and privacy legislation and regulations, coordination of privacy matters and responses to Freedom of Information inquiries across the organization.
• As Corporate Secretary, provides advice and resources to the Chief Executive Officer, Officers, Board and its committees in the discharge of their fiduciary duties and provides oversight of the Board’s governance structure and accountabilities.
• Ensures the development of evidence-based, customer-focused guidelines, performance measures, standards and best practices.
• Provides strategic expertise and advice to the Chief Executive Officer, Ontario Health executive team and the Board of Directors on departmental plans, priorities, and outcomes including strategies, services and issues/challenges.
• Directs the department and its staff, within Ontario Health’s talent-focused organization, designed to attract, retain and engage its employees. Accountable for building a strong team which respects diversity and inclusivity including hiring, orienting, training and coaching of staff, determination of performance standards, conducting performance reviews and managing performance and employee relations matters.
• Works with the Chief Executive Officer in developing, managing and reporting on operational plans, budgets and performance metrics, program effectiveness, risks and impacts.
• Represents Ontario Health and the department by leading consultations with stakeholders impacted by programs, services and initiatives to ensure effective partnering with the public and private sectors.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• LL.B. or J.D. and member in good standing in the Law Society of Ontario
• Minimum 10 years’ relevant leadership experience within the health care sector or similarly complex service delivery environment (e.g., government, broader public sector, not-for-profit, for-profit)
• Minimum of 5 years’ leadership experience within a large legal department with expertise in the development and oversight of legal services, corporate governance and privacy and access strategies, policies and services.
• Proven experience in leading significant change for system-wide efficiency and measurable quality outcomes.
• People leadership expertise and proven experience in the delivery of strong results through innovation and a high performing team.
Location: the successful candidate can be located anywhere in Ontario, with a potential for some travel to Ontario Health and/or stakeholder locations.
Ontario Health is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive workforce that reflects the communities we serve, to ensuring our services and communications are accessible to all individuals, and to embedding equity into our employment practices. Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code.
To express your interest or submit your cover letter and resume, in confidence, email OH_recruitment-VPLegal@ontariohealth.ca